Under the loose cover it looks even worse! At nearly 30 years old it's really seen better days, but it's useful and was the first piece of furniture I bought when I moved into my own brand new flat all those years ago.
It's a Habitat sofa, I bought all my furniture for the flat from there , and it came with a pattern for a loose cover, which has proved to be quite useful over the years.
So today I found the material that I bought in a Laura Ashley sale several years ago and made up a new cover and cushion to match.
It's only a simple cover, I usually pipe the seams and make fitted box cushions, but I followed the pattern this time and it only took me three hours to make from start to finish.
The only problem is I have to cover it all over with this.......
......because my little Purdy will not keep off the furniture.
Last week I had three loose covers to measure up and pin-fit for a client. Funnily enough one of them is a Habitat sofa just like mine, so I was able to more or less able to complete that one and just had to measure the hem.
I had to fit the other two though. I had previously cut out pieces for each part of the sofas and then I pin-fit the pieces together on half of the sofa. The client only wants very simple covers made, more like slip covers than fitted ones, with no piping and button and loop fastening at the back.
When I have finished pinning the cover to 'fit' the sofa I trim all the seams down to 2cm and then 'mark' matching points with little snips, so that I know which pieces fit where.
Once I have fitted the sofas in this way, I bring the covers home and cut out all the pieces to the right shape and size and sew them together.
All these covers are being made from white Linara linen from Romo. A bit scary, as I invariably prick a finger with one of the many pins I use in the process of making a cover, but so far I have been injury free!
A little tip to those of you who sew - if you happen to prick yourself
and bleed onto your work, use your own saliva to dilute the blood on
the fabric and then very gently dab, not rub, it off. Use more saliva if necessary
and don't let the blood dry. Once the blood has faded, let the fabric dry
naturally and it should be left without a trace.
I hope to get these covers finished next week so when I deliver and fit them all, I'll post the pictures of them.