Pages

Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Oh I do love to be beside the seaside.......

We took M-i-L for a trip to the seaside on Sunday.....to sunny Folkestone.




Before I married, I lived and taught in Folkestone, and still go down one day a week to teach my ladies at the Adult Ed centre. But it's been a while since I've had a walk around the Stade and Harbour area.




We parked the car on an area known as The Warren and climbed down lots of steps to get to the prom along the Sands. Thankfully mum-in-law is a sprightly 81 year old as we did a lot of walking.
We walked to the Stade, which is alongside the outer harbour, where the few remaining fishing boats are moored. On the Stade  is the fishmarket, a couple of lively pubs, a cockle bar an ice cream bar selling locally made ice creams and a shell shop.



After going through the railway arches you come to the inner harbour area, where on Sunday there just happened to be a craft and produce fair. To be honest it wasn't that good - busy, but not very appealing. I have been asked if I would be interested in having a pitch, but I don't think I will, after seeing it on Sunday.

Hubby and mum-in-law headed for the Seafood bar. It's really popular and very appetisingly displayed. Such a shame I have a shellfish allergy!


Once the jellied eels, prawns and cockles had been devoured and crab claws purchased to take home we walked up, and down, the Old High Street. This is in the new Creative Quarter, part of the regeneration of Folkestone.



The Old High Street promises to be a pretty and lively place to browse and shop once the regeneration is completed, but at the moment there are still lots of empty properties that need to be updated. The newly completed shops are filled with galleries, cafes, interior shops, a funky retro shop, a 'posh' tattoo parlour, studios and a handbag shop and workshop, amongst others.



Back down at the harbour the tide had come in and the sun had come out.



The arches carry the old railway line down to the harbour. Sadly both are closed, but it wasn't long ago that ferries would go to Boulogne, and the Seacat too, known locally and affectionately as the vomit comet for obvious reasons!
The railway line had the steepest incline and was one of the first public passenger lines to be built by thousands of navies in the 1800's. The last train to use the line was a steam train, on a special trip in 2009.
I can remember seeing the Orient Express crossing the arches and swing bridge to bring passengers down to the ferries in the 1980's.




One of the few fishing boats was getting ready to catch the tide, and probably due to be out all night as he wouldn't be able to get back into the harbour until the next high tide.




The sunshine had brought the crowds to the Sands. Not that they have long on the beach - when the tide is in the sand is virtually covered right up to the prom. I must say, the water looked pretty chilly!


I took the scenic route home, along the coast road to Hythe and then cross country. I think we tired mum-in-law out, she slept most of the way home!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Deb
    See here for plans for folkestone regeneration - if you haven't seen already?
    http://www.folkestoneseafront.com/index.php

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your lovely day out, a nice guided tour!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed going on your little trip to Folkstone with you.I was at school in Broadstairs for a while.
    Plan to visit the area one of these days and see how much I can remember!

    Bellaboo :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a great day out. Lovely photos , Folkestone looks like a fascinating place full of character. I would love the seafood bar, my favourite.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just found your blog via The Patchwork Heart and very interesting it is too. One of my daughters used to live in Folkestone so your photos brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing - sounds like a great day, although I had to laugh at the idea of a 'posh' tattoo parlour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Well...perhaps posh wasn't the right word! But it was a bit more up-market than your usual tatoo parlour.
    All white and stainless steel - looking very much more like a dentist surgery. I didn't like to take a photo though - they all looked a bit burly inside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debs, did you get my little parcel?

    Sent it last Thursday!!

    love
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely photos...it makes me wish I was there! Living in Kansas, we just have the rivers and lakes. We do plan a fall trip to the Great Lakes up north. BIG lakes for me!

    Folkestone looks like a place one could get very comfortable in. Sorry to hear about your shellfish allergy. That is a hard one to deal with I'm sure.

    Have a great week fun week!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I really like to read them all.