Pages

Monday, 19 December 2011

The Future of Vintage Fashion?


Have you ever wondered if the clothes we buy and wear now will be 'Vintage' fashion in 30 or 40 years time? Or will they stand the test of time? Is high street fashion made well enough to last that long or will the throw away society that we have become mean that it all ends up as landfill or shredded for recycling?



Dani, the daughter of a friend of mine has written a thought provoking blog post for a university assessment on this subject.
Her research was done in Cardiff, but it is relevant to other areas too.

Here's the link to Dani's blog - please read it and comment on it. She needs to get lots of people to read and comment on her blog as part of an assessment for her print journalism masters.



The post certainly made me think about the items I make.I use vintage fabrics, embroidered linens and handmade lace, but am finding it increasingly difficult to source and buy pieces at a reasonable price.
Charity shops, who used to almost give away old curtains, embroidered table cloths, tray cloths and napkins, are now labelling all things 'old' as vintage and charging a fortune!
And there is always competition at auctions, which then pushes the prices up.

I do think well made curtains and soft furnishings will stand the test of time and will always be available as 'vintage' buys in the future, however.The fabrics I'm often given for commissions are beautiful and the curtains I make from them will probably (hopefully) not be thrown away at the end of their usefulness - more than likely resold or given to charity.

But who embroiders now, or makes lace? In years time all the linens will have been sold and there will be nothing to replace them.
But then perhaps we will go bonkers for machine embroidered items and mass manufactured lace and trimmings!

What do you think?


3 comments:

  1. Machine embroidery has its place in my opinion it is useful and time saving especially for machine washed pieces but there is nothing like some beautiful hand embroidery my favourite. I also know some ladies who can make lace they showed me how to do a bit recently. I think I would keep it for lace collars and special clothes. Happy Christmas love Sally x :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant post, I will visit the Dani's blog!

    Hurray! Thank you for joining the Monthly Make for 2012. I am really looking forward to seeing what you make! I am going to try very hard this year and really hope that we can support one another! If you do a post about your make then please pop by and leave me a comment so that I can come over and see it! Love Annie x ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping over from the Monthly Make. Wishing you a creative 2012 xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I really like to read them all.