Pages

Monday, 13 February 2012

My Monthly Make - February

Appliquéd linen handbag.


I have used a lovely crisp natural linen for the bag, and some vintage floral linen for the appliqué.
I cut the flowers and leaves individually and then used an embellisher machine to attach them.
The embellisher has eight barbed needles that pierces the fabrics at a fast speed
to effectively felt or mesh the layers together.


It makes for quite a muted effect and
 leaves a soft raw edge.
I then free machine stitched around 
the flowers and leaves to accentuate 
the veins and petals.

For rigidity, I interlined the linen with iron-on, 
heavyweight, woven interfacing.

I trimmed the side seams with recycled cotton lace.



And made some handles from some gorgeous soft leather,
using recycled rings to attch them to the bag.


I used a Liberty Tana Lawn for the lining, which I backed with lightweight, 
woven interfacing to give it more body.
I added two pockets inside and a magnetic 
snap fastener to close the bag.


This bag is for sale in my Folksy shop now.

7 comments:

  1. The bag is just delightful, I am sure it will not be in your shop very long..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag is stuning,i love it.Wouldn't mind one my self : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that applique done with the embellisher machine I have never seen one of those before.
    It really is a lovely effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous! The embellisher has given the flower a wonderful effect, really soft and pretty.

    (Btw, the link to your Folksy shop in this post doesn't work).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your lovely comments ladies.

    The link should be working now Joanna, thanks for letting me know.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just found your blog via Flickr. I was searching for coat hanger inspiration......don't ask!
    Lovely blog, very talented lady. Just going to read some more. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you have sold that lovely bag by now! Hope you are having a relaxing weekend,we have bright sunshine here and the washing is on the line!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I really like to read them all.