Pages

Thursday, 9 May 2013

A catch up.....

................well it has been such a long time since I have written a post. 
I have been very busy, so the time has just flown by. 
I can't believe we are almost through half the year already!

My Adult Education classes are in full swing at The Cube, in Folkestone, 
where I teach all day on Mondays, and at Homewood School in Tenterden, on Wednesday morning and evening. My students have produced some wonderful things: curtains and blinds;
bed covers and upholstered footstools; patchwork trims for 
blinds; cushions and loose covers.
My teaching room at The Cube is lovely and light.
 I'm so lucky to be able to work at something I really enjoy.
The students are so lovely, fun and enthusiastic. 
I love their ideas for projects, the fabrics they use and 
watching them progress and acquire new skills.
It really doesn't feel like work!

When I'm not teaching I'm busy at home in my workroom, sewing hard and completing
soft furnishing commissions for clients.

I have been making curtains and blinds:


and loads of loose covers:
One very happy client above.
These sofas are covered with a Clarke and Clarke fabric.

A make over for a very sad sofa!
This was covered in a Nina Campbell fabric.


My latest commission was loose covers for three pieces of furniture for 
a client who had a big makeover in their sitting room.                                                         
 They chose a soft, floppy linen, in white, to recover their sofa.
The linen was lovely to work with and results in a soft, relaxed look.
I replaced the old feather seat cushions with new foam and feather wrap ones.
No more plumping up!

The big squishy armchair is transformed and has a new seat cushion too.
Separate arm covers prolong the life of loose covers and are relatively
indistinguishable if they are fitted well. 
                                                                                                
The wing back chair is waiting for a new seat cushion, 
and needs a press to remove the crease down the centre back.
I'll do this when I deliver the cushion!
                                                   
Another set of covers - easy chair, footstool and arm covers - are ready for delivery to another client tomorrow. Pictures to follow!

I have plans to make covers for my sofa and a wing back chair 
but all the while the commissions keep coming in they will have to wait!!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back! WOW! You have been a busy bee.I bet your students enjoy their classes with you and very rewarding for you too,passing on your skills to them.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    Bellaboo X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crumbs, you have been busy Debs. All made to that pinnacle of perfection you deliver to every commission, large and small. Trust me girls, I know!

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post you have been busy. Amazing makeover for the "sad settee" looks very up to date now. The ladies are a hive of activity really nice when you can work at something you love and be able to inspire others. Thanks for showing us all the pictures. Have a great day. Love Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I really like to read them all.